d. h. lawrence ranch
The 160-acre ranch is located twenty miles north of Taos, New Mexico, off Highway 522 near San Cristobal at 8,600 feet. An ancient Kiowa Indian trail, still used to travel from Taos Pueblo to the red clay pits in Questa by the Taos Pueblo natives, crosses vertically through the property. Under the 1955 Last Will and Testament of D.H. Lawrence’s widow Frieda, it was entrusted to the University of New Mexico (UNM) for the purpose of creating a public memorial to the world-renowned writer.
The Taos community has a rich artistic, cultural, and historical legacy. It is the home of many diverse communities that contribute to this richness. D. H. Lawrence and his circle — Mabel Dodge Luhan, Georgia O’Keeffe, Lady Dorothy Brett, and others — formed an important part of this cultural stream. Along with Taos’ museums, galleries, and historical structures, the D. H. Lawrence Ranch is a living representation of that legacy.
According to the Taos tourist office, it is one of the most sought-after sites for visitors, second only to Taos Pueblo. Due to the efforts of the local Taos citizens, the Ranch reopened on a limited basis during the summer of 2014, following a five-year hiatus.
|Hours||Thurs and Fri 10am to 2pm, Saturday 10am to 4 pm|