As Taos Ski Valley gets ready to open for the Season, I thought it a perfect opportunity to share this post.
The third in a series I‘ll be working on all winter, I’ve found myself in TSV quite frequently of late, and for this article, I contacted Skylar Kraatz (PR at TSV) who put me in touch with Kaela Gillum, the Weddings and Events Manager at the Ski Resort, Kaela moved here in the winter of 2009/10. She was a ski instructor for two winters and this is her seventh year working at the Resort. She’s been doing Events and Weddings for four of them!
From Oklahoma, Kaela grew up in a family who have been visiting (and skiing) Taos for generations, beginning with her Grandparents, so Taos has always been home away from home to her. Her boyfriend Kyle, is one half of TMEBars with Brooks,(who were showcased here last week.) She not only knows the area well, she’s also super enthusiastic and happy to help Brides to be with all the details regarding their Big Day from start to finish.
After talking to Kaela, I came up with these 7 good reasons to choose Taos Ski Valley for your Destination Wedding!
1) Breathtaking Vistas: Crisp mountain air, snowy (or not) aspens and pines, soaring peaks and valleys make for a beautiful backdrop to any style of festivity. Whether you’re wanting to create a rustic fairytale vibe or a more formal affair, the striking scenery is gorgeous from every angle – and the magical and mythic Taos light, is perfect for all the photos.
2) A Midsummer Alpine Meadow Dream Or A Winter Wonderland Wedding: Looking for a Summer Solstice setting or are you envisioning a Winter Wonderland Wedding? Taos Ski Valley provides the ideal setting during both Seasons (as well as Spring and our glorious Fall), with guaranteed snow on the ground from December till May (or on the peaks almost year-round), turning into sparkling crystal waterfalls and streams once spring arrives. Think fur-laden sled rides in January and horseback riding through wild flower meadows in June, while staying at the charming and quaint Alpine village where friends and family can gather around the roaring fire Apres Ski, or go mushroom hunting on the summer slopes. Winter or summer, there’s lots to do on the Mountain.
3) Venues: You have options! An intimate affair could be held practically anywhere, indoors or out at Taos Ski Valley, but The Phoenix is at the highest point and the most spectacular choice. Your guests need to be aware that they’ll be riding the chairlift to the ceremony. You can gather a large crowd (it accommodates 200 – 250 ) for your nuptials held indoors or out on the deck. The Bavarian just below is perfect for a smaller scene – 75 people – works nicely there, but for a larger event, a tent can be erected to accommodate up to 150. The views from both venues are unbeatable and depending on the mood you are after, either of these options is bound to work beautifully for the Bride looking for something a little out of the ordinary. The Old World European vibe creates the perfect ambiance for an elegant, yet understated occasion.
4) Lodging and Transportation: You and your guests will breathe a little easier as they head for the hills, knowing all of their transportation and lodging needs are taken care of. The Resort has shuttle service to and from Albuquerque and Santa Fe (airports) and will take you to town for a daily excursion as well. Lodging runs the gamut from 5 star Hotels to Chalets. Stay at the newest addition to the Resort, the Blake (named for TSV Founder Ernie Blake), and enjoy all of the Hotel’s ammenities, while spending your days on the slopes or exploring the area, depending on the season. Once all the details have been taken care of, thanks to Kaela and her team, you and your party can take a little time to relax before the big day!
5) Spas, Restaurants and Bars: Which brings me to the first and most important item on this list; Pampering. And luckily for the Bride who chooses Taos for her Destination Wedding, she’s chosen the right spot. The Spa at the Blake is perfect if you’d rather stay put, offering a myriad of services to take care of your every need, from massage to hair and makeup (booked for your individual requirements), or you can take the Resort Shuttle to Ojo Caliente for a day, and soak in the Spa’s legendary mineral waters. The Blake and the Bavarian both have great food (and wine, beer and spirits), on site. 192 at the Blake would be a great choice for your rehearsal dinner, and Apres Ski, there’s nothing quite like a “beer and Brat” at the Bavarian, I’m told.
6) Skiing or Hiking/Climbing Honeymoon: Why jet off to far-flung destinations when the best honeymoon is right on the doorstep. The happy couple can continue their Mid-Summer Dream or Winter Wonderland experience with another week spent carving (or hiking) up the mountains, sipping hot chocolate (or an ice-cold, locally brewed beer), eating long, leisurely lunches in the mountains, returning to the comfort of their suite at the Blake, and unwinding with a massage and cocktail on the deck before heading down the Mountain for a night on the town. Perhaps dinner at one of our fine restaurants and live music at a variety of venues.
7) Stand Out From The Pack: While summer is traditionally considered wedding ‘season’, hosting your nuptials during winter will ensure they are the highlight of the season and will give your guests something to look forward to during the dreary cold months. Whenever you choose to tie the knot, Taos Ski Valley will make yours a most memorable and magical occasion.
For more information regarding reservations and Weddings at Taos Ski Valley, please visit their site linked below.
All images c/o Taos Ski Valley
Photo of Kaela Gillum and her furry pal, thanks to her.
Top and bottom photographs by Lisa DeNardo
November 8, 2017 in About.