San Francisco de Asis Church
“Celebrating 300 years, the historic “Ranchos Church” was built in the mid to late 1700’s, and is the only original church which remains intact in the Taos area.
San Francisco de Asis Church continues to be an integral part of the spiritual community.
It has been artistically recorded by 20th Century artists, Georgia O’Keeffe, Ansel Adams, and others who were fascinated by its adobe contours and sculptural buttresses. Their artful depictions of the rustic architecture of San Francisco de Asis have made the church nationally famous.
San Francisco Plaza was originally an old u-shaped Spanish military garrison that once surrounded the church.
Today, shops, galleries, trading posts, and restaurants have replaced the old adobe stables, barracks, and living quarters.
Every June, parishioners and the community volunteers gather to re-plaster the church in adobe. This annual project is called “The Enjarre,” or “the mudding” of the church.
Since the church is the heart of the community many people are moved to help preserve the church’s historicity.
By mixing clay, sand, straw, and water into thick mud it is applied to the surface, layer upon layer, until the entire adobe structure, from top to bottom which becomes resilient to the elements.
Inside the Parish Hall resides 18th Century oil painting “The Shadow of the Cross by Henri Ault,” aka “The Mystery Painting.”
It used to hang inside the church, and when the lights went dark the painting would mysteriously glow. To preserve its physical integrity The Mystery Painting is housed in a controlled environment. However, it can be personally experienced (in the dark) for a fee of $3.00 per person.
All proceeds go to maintain the historic church.
San Francisco de Asis Church visiting hours:
10am – 4pm, every day of the week. (Call for winter hours)
3pm Confessions & 5pm Mass- Saturdays, 8am Mass (Spanish) & 10am Mass (English).
Weekdays: 6:45am Communion Services Mondays & Tuesdays, 6:45am Masses- Wednesdays, Thursdays, Fridays.
60 St Francis Plaza, Ranchos de Taos, NM 575-758-2754
200th Anniversary History Programs (All lectures take place in the church)
Sunday, September 13, 2015 – 2 pm – New Mexico State Historian Dr. Rick Hendricks - “The Catholic Church in Northern New Mexico in the 1800’s”
Sunday, September 20, 2015 – 11:30am Annual St. Francis Fiesta / Bazaar – St. Francis School parking lot & gym
Sunday, September 27, 2015 – 2 pm Enrico & Roberta Velasquez – “The Chapel of Our Lady of San Juan, Talpa, NM”
Saturday, October 3, 2015 – 5pm 200th Anniversary & Feast Day Mass with Archbishop of Santa Fe, The Most Reverend John Wester
Sunday, October 4, 2015 – 2 pm – Author & Church Historian - Rev. Juan Romero - “Padre Jose Martinez of Taos”
Sunday, October 11, 2015 – 2 pm - Catherine Collins – “History of Los Cordovas Chapel”
Sunday, October 18, 2015 – 2 pm – Charles Hawk, Bob Romero – “History of the Llano Quemado Chapel”